Type 1 diabetes is a little bit different than Type 2. Actually, it's a LOT different. Roughly 90%-95% of most diabetics are Type 2 and have the "luxury" of controlling their disease - possibly even getting rid of it - through diet and excersize. Although diet and excersize are incredibly important for me too, I have tested my blood sugar and had syringes stuck into my body since I was a 4 year old so that I could stay alive. It's not a fun disease. It dosn't go away. Not to mention, it messes with your hormoneees (say it like on "My Big Fat Greek Wedding) your memory and your mood, among other things. I get low, I get high, and I get downright crazy sometimes. (Praise be to anyone who has ever lived with me;) I'm kind of like Storm on "X-Men".
*Fun Fact: Did you know that Halle Berry is a Type 1 diabetic?
About 9 years ago I decided to switch from manual injections to an insulin pump, and it's probably been the best thing I have ever done. I have more freedom to eat when I want, to excersize when I want, to live more, well normally I guess. It's rad. But it's also kind of weird - and a major pain in the backside sometimes. I constantly have this machine inserted via infusion set somewhere on my body (perhaps I am more like the bionic woman or something?) and unless I want to go into a coma, I have to keep it that way. Thank goodness for no more injections though!
Since I have lived with diabetes for 23 years now, my body has been through a LOT. I've had the full array of issues, and within the past couple years my resistance to insulin has increased making it so that my body requires more insulin to survive. Long gone are the days of "9N 7R". (My siblings might remember that dosage:)




13 comments:
Ahhhh sissy. I don't think I've ever said how much I admire you for having had this pain in your behind (literally with those stinky needles) for so long and handling it with such grace. And trust me when I say I understand. Having to do those insulin injections for just 6 months while pregnant was one of the hardest things I ever did. I bow down to you for being such a wonderful, inspiring, talented, overcoming, incredible woman...who happens to be diabetic.
I agree! T=You are one amazing lady to ahndle it so well...You rock!
When I had to deal with gestational diabetes with Mazey, it gave me a whole new perspective on those with Type I Diabetes. It was THE STINKY STINK! Most people who know you would never guess you deal with this on an hourly basis. You are the queen of elegance.
BTW I will never forget while in NY around 10pm in the middle of Old Navy you sitting on the stairs because you were so tired. Then you looked at me and said, "I am going to take the subway back to the hotel and meet you there." That's when I knew it was the diabetes talking. We finished up, walked 4 blocks the wrong way, turned around, and finally found the subway. Got back to the hotel and got some food into you and you started feeling better. I totally felt like a mom being bossy and not letting you leave by yourself at 10pm and wandering back to the hotel WHILE IN THE MIDDLE OF NEW YORK!!
I GOT YOUR BACK!!!
You handle your "trial" so quietly. You don't announce to everyone that you have it. Nor does anyone looking at you know that you have it. Without the pump dangling at your side. No one would ever know. But, I don't live with you or "storm". You are awesome emma! I praise you for living the best you can with "THE STINK"
Y'know Em... you are my hero for dealing with the STINK of the world. This little 3 yr old neighbor boy that was just diagnosed is bringing back so many memories of childhood. She said his buzz lightyear has diabetes, his sisters give their animals shots and they play "nurse" all the time.
A few of our memories: clubhouse password was 'diabetes,' nurse koala, spraying eachother with shots, no cookies and nasty sugar free candy you must have pretended to like not to hurt mom's feelings. It was just normal for us.
I love you B, more than you know and the strength you have to deal with the STINK inspires me and all of us.
thanks for sharing. You are such an example to me and to so many others. I truly love you.
You Rock and you Inspire!
You made me cry when I read this entry.
Because you are a survivor and a winner and you are an awesome sister.
Thanks for putting my bad day into perspective!
Love your guts!
Perhaps you are more like IronMan, kicking stinky to the curb and battling the evil villain Pancreas. I always knew you were special.
Just keep kicking.
Yeah.......I was wondering what that tight, black, leather outfit was in in your closet. Now I know for sure YOU are the REAL 'Storm' fighting your everyday battle out there. Yes, I too remember the NYC moments. You deal with this like a trooper!!!!!!!!!!! Love you, Marm
I watched the TODAY show today, and watched the new IDOLS sing on the show. Crystal Bowersox said she has diabetes (which I didn't know) wants to start a Foundation in under developed countries to become aware of Juvenile Diabetes. I thought that was interesting. At one point during the competition, she became sick with her Diabetes. Anyway, hats off to you both!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I think you are amazing. My Dad has had health issues for the past 30 years and I've watched all the behind closed door trials health issues cause. I admire anyone who has to go through that and I know the Lord is very near you. Thank you for your example to me.
I still remember you having to take your blood all the time and you shoving needles in yourself at school. I was always in awe of how well you handled that...and as a teenager! You really are one amazing chick and have always been such a great example to me. Love ya Emma!
Emma, I loved this Diabetes post. I learned so much and can't believe I haven't asked you more about it. You're right though, sometimes getting it out there can be better....sometimes moreso for someone else than for you!
Ya my baby shower was thrown by my relief society so it was all ward people that came. I was feeling bad having you think otherwise and that I didn't think to invite you!!! Of course not. Anyway, hope your family is well and I CAN'T believe Jake has 6 more months left of school. Woohoo! Luckily you guys will be able to meet our trio before you leave to Cali!
Love you guys. xoxoJoSue
Post a Comment