My sister Eliza ran her first marathon today. 26.2 Miles. Blood, sweat, tears, training, sacrifice, passion, goals, drive, determination, CAN...these are just a few words that come to my mind when I think about her. She finished in 4hrs and 18 minutes and said that the last 5 miles were the worst. Did I mention she is currently nursing a baby right now too? This girl is crazy. And incredible. And certainly not just because she ran a marathon.
When we younger Eliza and I were the "archest" of arch enemies. We fought about everything from clothes to barbies to friends to who got to jump on the trampoline first. If I remember correctly, we even threw a few punches at each other once. The loathing was fierce. It was real.
When we were teenagers things eased up a little bit because we didn't see each other as much. She did her thing, I did mine. There was still a clear and present enmity between us, but it was dormant. I couldn't just push aside our past.
Then, one day something happened. And, like all lost boys and girls, we started to grow up.
It took more time for me than it did for Eliza. There were moments when I looked at her and it felt like she had just changed into a different person overnight. We gradually started talking to each other. Actually talking...I wasn't used to that. It was weird at first, but slowly we built a relationship. We reminisced. We forgave. We let go.......of a lot. She initiated it all, so I give her all the credit. She stepped forward and wanted to be my friend. She made an effort. I wasn't always the easiest subject to coerce into sisterhood. In fact, sometimes I was downright defiant. But she persisted; and she never gave up.
I've known Eliza my whole life, and I know her well. I can honestly say that I have never met anyone else quite like her. She is truly one of the "pure in heart". She is genuine, and good. She's funny. She's selfless. She's kind. She inspires me. She has an eternal perspective, and her actions exemplify that. I can't say that about some people I know half as well.
So Eliza, here's to you. I love you and I'm proud of you. I look up to you more than you will ever know. I forgive you for jogging ahead of me when we used to go running together in high school. I know now, you were just training for your marathon. You were ready before me, but you always came back for me and helped me to finish. Someday, I hope I'll catch up with you. But for now, I'm just glad to have a best friend to run with.
I love you sis.
Emma B.
Saturday, September 18, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


9 comments:
:)
A sweet tribute to your sister. Congrats, Eliza on your marathon! (Funny........I happen to see those same great attributes in you too.....Emma) (Selfless, genuine, kind..................)
It all started in a little fort on the side of the house. The leaves were money and the password...a secret. You always wanted to play with me and be my friend. I was rotten, rotten, rotten!!! I told you a huge bumblebee would come sting you if you followed. I do not deserve the credit you give me. I watched you suffer and cry with your stinkin disease and then I thought I'd better be nice to you cause it hurt you so badly. You were robbed of your precious childhood in so many ways and didn't deserve any of it. I was just that brat sister. I appreciate your kind words emma. You make me bawl like a baby and realize how thankful I am to have the MOST amazing sister! Love you.
P.S... NEVER RUN A MARATHON!
Wow. Now what can you post about me? Eliza Rocks!
Ahhh, Sisters. It's better when your older, I agree. :)
Ahhh...Eliza Sue...she really is a special spirit isn't she. :)
Love you BOTH.
As the oldest brat sister, I second the motion about how cool Eliza is....you're not so bad yourself, Em!
Love you!
How sweet and touching, and so full of love!!
what a wonderful tribute to your sister. Sisters are wonderful, amazing, maddening, and downright crazy! However, when we are actually lucky enough to call our sisters our friends, we are truly, truly blessed!
Love you, Emma B!
Post a Comment