I am not talking about words in general. I'm talking about specific, singular words that compel me to laugh, ponder, or anticipate a detailed story with which they belong to. Sometimes I will hear a word and I won't be able to get it out of my mind for days. And since I am completely improper, I usually appreciate these words more when they are used in a not-so-common context.
It doesn't usually help when I hear them at the mercy of someone with an accent either. It's like the word takes on a whole new character of it's own. For instance, when I say "cheerio" I think of what the little handsomes ate for breakfast this morning. But when I imagine Mr. Darcy from Pride and Prejudice saying "cheerio" to Elizabeth Bennett (although it doesn't seem proper enough for that story, but oh well) .....see you get the idea. A story comes with it.
It seems like their are certain words in particular that, when presented, tell a story all by themselves. Words like,
- Shenanigan - a devious trick used especially for an underhand purpose
- Mischievous - able or tending to cause annoyance, trouble, or minor injury
- Whimsical - full of, actuated by, or exhibiting whims
- Triskaidekaphobia - fear of the number 13
Then there are words that make me think of the character of individuals......
- Stout - strong of character
- Forlorn - sad and lonely because of isolation or desertion
- Mastodon - one that is unusually large
- Lofty - having a haughty overbearing manner
- Beau - a dandy boyfriend (aka. my own Mr. Handsome)
- Lush - appealing to the senses (what Mr. Handsome thinks about me)
and of course there are words that make me ponder life in general.....
- Precarious - depending on the will or pleasure of another
- Vintage - a period of origin or manufacture
- Twirling - to revolve rapidly
and then there are words that make me laugh and are just really fun to say like...
- Hullabaloo - uproar
- Chortle - to laugh or chuckle especially in satisfaction or exultation
- Smorgasbord - an often large heterogeneous mixture
- Skedaddle - run away, scram; especially : to flee in a panic
- Lackadaisical - lacking life, spirit, or zest : languid (this one makes me think of slugs...)
- Bauble - trinket, something of trifling appeal
- Jargon - confused unintelligible language (the language of the littlest handsome)
What is your favorite word? If you think about it for a while it just might send your stout countenance into a hullabaloo.
Heck you might even chortle:)
Heck you might even chortle:)

3 comments:
RAD you r matie
I can't believe you didn't say homina homina homina.... :)
The word of the day: chesse. Definition: to say cheese, but hiss like a snake at the end.... hold it and then put an e at the end when smiling for a picture.
(actually, it was the verification word)
Good post. How did you spell all those words right?
Post a Comment