Saturday, April 11, 2009

The Rundown: A wedding, two birthdays, a hit and run, and an easter egg hunt


Happy Beckham! This kid is full of smiles and sunshine!

The Elmo cake - because it make's him HaPpY!!! (You should have seen the truck cake that Aunt Eliza made him while we were in Utah! Please send us pictures everyone!!!:)

Ethan wearing his fire hat from the fire station and playing with his birthday cars.

Jake and I at the Easter luncheon


And that's what has happend for us in the last week. Wow.

The wedding was awesome. Our brother Eric married the beautiful Chelsea Hope last Friday in the new Draper, Utah temple. He was handsome and she was stunning. It was so fun to see everyone. We flew in on Thursday night (after being delayed for weather for 5 hours with two screaming children) and came back to Texas on Sunday. It was a whirlwind of a trip but so worth it! What a great party and a beautiful couple. You can see pictures of Chelsea's bridals on my sister-in-law's photography website. I can't wait to know Chelsea better, she seems like such a sweetheart, and the PERFECT fit for Eric.

Friday was also my 26th birthday. It was awesome to get a new sister-in-law for my birthday! I must admit though, I'm getting to the point where I'm really starting to feel it. Maybe it's the fact that I've had two kids now, or maybe it's just that I never thought I'd get this old, but those anti-wrinkle creams and AARP magazines are a callin' my name. Laugh if you will, I just always assumed I would stay 18 and skinny(er) forever. Thank goodness for joy in the journey!

Since Monday was E-man's birthday too, our family had a ginormous shindig on Saturday and spoiled us both rotten. And I mean ROTTEN. This is what happens when I ask Jake not to make a big deal out of my birthday - our family steps in and does it for him! It was really fun though, and I was greatful for the kindness of all our family. We are seriously so blessed! How do you even say thank you for all that? I have so many cards to write...

And now we come to the "hit and run" part of the title. WHAT?!? Yes, you heard me correctly. Jake was hit by a car on Tuesday. Now before anyone freaks out, let me explain: Jake is ok. Thanks, I am certain, to the many prayers and fasts that were offered on his behalf.

On his way to school Jake was throwing some trash away by the dumpster outside our apartment, when a truck pulled around and hit him. Jake said it seemed like the person was going slow - probably only about 5 or 10 mph, but they hit him none the less and then sped off like a rabid gazelle. Or at least that's my interpretation. Jake says they probably didn't see him, but how do you NOT see a 6ft 5in. , 230 lb. man in front of your car?!? He was alone and very dizzy, so he called 911 and waited for the ambulance to get to him. He only passed out a couple of times, and it turns out (from the CT scan and X-rays) that he has no major broken ribs or bones. Just a minor concussion with bruising and swelling of the brain, some nasty cuts and scrapes, and an achey body. I guess it's ironic that his trimester finals are the next two weeks.

We also had another party on Monday for Ethan's 2nd birthday. I attempted an elmo cake, since that's one of his favorite things right now, and Jake took him to the fire station for a tour during the day. They do free tours for kids and even give you a little hat to wear, let you honk the horn on the fire truck, and all that jazz. He loved it.

Thursday we also went to an Easter luncheon at Jake's school. After such a crazy week, it was nice to spend time together as a family again.

Sorry for such a saturated post, but these are some of the major things that have happend this past week, and I had to document it. Did you get through it Ok? If you need time to recover, don't worry, we've been there.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is it wrong that I chuckled a bit about the hit and run situation...I mean he is fine right? How crazy is that?? That is something you see on movies and the news...not in your apartment building. So glad he is fine. At any rate, happy birthday to all. We have a gift to E-man and we still need to take you out to celebrate yours. Sorry that the flight was a bummer...better luck in July.

k.young said...

You crack me up! How crazy that Jake was hit, but I am glad he is okay. Happy birthdays and wedding! How fun!

thegehmclan said...

Okay, next time we have a birthday I am calling "Emma's Cakes" to make us and send us one. Adorable! It is so happy looking! We adored having you for a couple days, boy was it a whirlwind huh? Can you come and play again soon? We just miss you too much.
Darn those hit and run people. They should be sent to you know where! I am sure Jake won't complain about an extra massage or TLC from you, I think that is just what the Doctor ordered!

Emily said...

When we only get to see you rarely, we PACK the days!:)

So glad that you are doing well jake!

We miss you guys. Come back!

Angie said...

Happy Birthday Ethan! I love the Elmo cake :)

Glad to hear that Jake is doing okay! We miss you guys!

kathleen said...

It was soooooooooo much fun having all of you guys here with everyone else!!!!!!! Weddings, Parties, Easter Egg Hunts packed into one weekend is too much darn fun:) Let's do it again, except I don't know who would get married?

The Birthday Cake is adorable! Yes, The Johnson Girls are much too creative. Fun.

Who is Chelsea Hope? Mom

REGS said...

Happy Birthday to you and Ethan, and you did an awesome job on the Elmo Cake! And I'm sorry about Jake getting hit! That's CRAZY! I hope he's feeling better. Sounds like a busy weekend, just like ours.

Cothran Family said...

That was a pretty dang awesome sum up B. It was soooo good to see you for 4 hours and hold baby Beckham and try to get a smile out of out-of-his-element-Ethan (poor kid) The Elmo cake is ADORABLE and we are so glad Jake is ok, but the first comment made me laugh, is that bad? Love you guys! Miss ya.

The Ullery Family said...

Glad Jake is okay. Love your kids, so cute. Sad I didn't get to see you when you were out here in Utah. What part of Texas do you live in again? I can't remember. Love ya!

Laurel said...

You sound EXTREMELY busy! Do you need me to come and nurse Beckham for you? Maybe I'll just send milk. Either way....I'm here to help:)

JoSue said...

Holy cow! I'm pretty sure Clark would've thrown a rock at the car that was speeding off. How rude. I'm glad he's ok and I love how you just shrug off SWELLING OF THE BRAIN!!

As far as belated goes, here's mine. Happy Birthday to Emma and Ethan!! I'm so glad you got to spend it with family. I'm sure they LOVED spoiling you.

Just so I don't have to make another comment, way to go Jake on the V-day scavenger hunt and way to go Emma for being SOOO creative! You guys are awesome.

Sister Ward said...

That is the coolest Elmo cake! I'm totally going to make one for my little monster. She can't get enough Elmo!