Monday, June 1, 2009

I Have Some Questions....


Why do people go private on their blog?

I am a pretty paranoid person. I mean, I know there are risks out there. Like, if you have a stalker who keeps leaving you comments. Or if you post your hometown, birthday........... social security (duh) number or other personal information on your blogging profile; it's probably not the smartest thing to let everyone on the web have acess to it.

I've thought about going "private" a lot. I have kids that I want to protect. Not to mention an identity that has alredady been stolen once. But honestly, what can REALLY happen? What are the odds? Could creepy hackers get onto your blog regardless, or does going private really make a difference? Have there been studies on this? What if you don't post any personal information? Or what if you're paranoid like me and you just avoid sharing information that could backfire? Is that enough? Or is going "private" necessary to protect my eternal blog salvation? Why or why not?

To those of you who are private, did you make that decision for an actual reason (like something happend to you or someone close to you), are your just paranoid (don't feel bad, I'm paranoid...), or do you only want certain people to have acess to your life story (Which, by the way, is COMPLETELY justifiable)?

Why have you decided to go/not go private?

14 comments:

k.young said...

I have the same struggle all the time. And I have no answer for you. Let me know what you come up with.

Katie Rod said...

One thing I've noticed is the people who decided to go private usually come back to being public again because it was too much hassle for new people to try and contact them and viewers don't check your blog as often (since it can't be put on google reader). I know a lot of people who use code names for themselves and their children on their public blog instead of going private.

Also, the main reason I have a blog is to keep grandmas and grandpas who live far away informed on the daily adventures of their grankid. Some of my relatives (not all!) are not the most computer-savy people and would probably be discouraged if checking a blog became more confusing.

I guess you can always test it out and see how it goes. Good luck!

Jill D. said...

I've gone private and have come back to public. People follow my blog but I might not have their email. I hate the hassle. I just try not to post anything too specific. Let me know what you decide.

Anonymous said...

Private blogs are fine, but with Blogger (which you already know I'm not a fan) requires that you have a google account or you can't get in at all. Now you know the sole reason why I have a google account.

Most private blogs are those that are only family diaries, and not real informational weblogs. So I think you can go private if you feel the need to.

My blog is not private because I am trying to drive traffic to my site for a reason, so if you don't have that need then go 'private' :)

REGS said...

My blog is private, which seems to really annoy almost everyone that wants to read it, which really isn't a lot of people anyway. I went private because I am paranoid and I want to protect my kids and I am just a very personal and private person. I don't like random people just reading about my personal life, but that's just me!

I think Steph has it right, if your blog is for some purpose to bring people in and give them information for their benefit other than family info, then stay public. But my blog is like my diary, my life. I don't invite just anyone to it, just like I don't go around to random people on the street telling my life story, problems, insights, etc. My blog is mostly just for my family two states away to keep tabs on what and how we are doing.

So, do what you feel. I'm staying private, but I'm starting a History blog that will be public and that won't contain personal info on it because I want it to be a benefit to others. Sorry this was such a long comment. ;0)

thegehmclan said...

Private blogs rule! Join team Krista!
My blog is a journal and I wasn't comfortable with everyone reading or looking at it. I had a tracker and was getting people from all over the U.S. I kept saying "who is blog surfing" Once you publish anything on a public blog, anyone can copy and paste anything anywhere. That is just a little too uncomfortable for me. I have more control and it really isn't a hassle at all. I would never go back to public blogging!

Anonymous said...

don't go private... i never check private blogs...you will be fine. :)

thegehmclan said...

Go private...people will check your blog...just do it...

Laurel said...

The ultimate deciding factor for me is when Conan says so. :)

Cothran Family said...

I am undecided. If you are that concerned, go to sitemeter.com and track who is looking at your blog. Call me. I have a story for you of why one friend went private.
word verification: honeri
Used in a sentance: I think Emma can be honeri sometimes :)

The Hansen Family said...

I am literally about to pee my pants right now. Thanks Liza.

Melissa said...

We decided to go private because we had some friends that used a tracker and found out someone was posting pictures of their little girl on the internet. FREAKY! I am probably just untrusting of all the creeps in the world but I don't necessarily want people I don't know looking at my personal, family life. That's just me. An additional bonus: when you go private, you find out who really cares about you and who doesn't!! Good luck with the decision. Love ya Ems!

Sister Ward said...

I went private because I don't want people seeing pictures of Laura unless I say so. Even weird people from high school who might have been nice then, but aren't so great now. (One of my extended friends ended up in jail for sexual abuse. Had no idea.) I don't want to post a funny pic of her in her diaper or half naked that family and friends wouldn't think twice about, but some child predator perve gets off on the sight of a little girl and downloads it to his computer. I know that's probably extreme to think but I don't want to take any chances.

Also, think of all the bank accounts, email, personal info, everything that you have out on the web. A lot of them have ways to recover your password if you forget that includes asking personal questions. I don't want to have to worry about accidently putting personal info that might help someone get into my accounts. Once again, paranoia, but I don't want anyone to intrude on my family's privacy without me knowing exactly who's doing it. Just a thought.

The Ullery Family said...

We went private because we discovered a lot of people who we didn't know were on our site. We even found they were coming from other countries. I was concerned about my kids pictures being used in ways I didn't like.
Kimber
PS: I don't have a google account and neither do most of my readers. They just have to use their email and create a password. I think going private was easy.