Sunday, December 6, 2009

CPR



Jake just gave CPR to a guy at Walmart last night. We're talking compressions, mouth to mouth - the whole bit.

We were at Wal-mart and I ran in to get some groceries while Jake filled the car up with gas. He saw a guy laying on the ground, and when Jake called out to him the guy was unresponsive.  Jake locked the car doors (the boys were in their carseats) and ran over to the guy to see what was going on.

 He assessed the situation, and called out to some lady in a pink sweater to go call 911 and report back.  Jake said the lady in the pink sweater started freaking out and patting every place on her body that didn't have a pocket, looking for her phone.  She finally realized she didn't have her phone, and opened up the car door and started screaming at her husband, "Dashaun! Dashaun!  Where my phone?  I gotta call 911!  Where my phone!  Oh Lordy, oh Lordy!". 

Jake did everything by the book and followed his ABC's - airway, breathing and compressions.  He had to re-tilt the guys head once to see his chest rise and the breath go in.  The police responded quickly because apparently someone else had already called them.  When the paramedics got there, the lady in the pink sweater directed them to where Jake was performing CPR (Jake had told her to direct them to him as soon as they arrived).  The first paramedic on the scene told Jake to "just keep doing what you're doing" while Jake was performing compressions, and then the paramedic took over giving the guy air through a bag.  Altogether, Jake said that he did about 5 sets of compressions and breaths by himself, and as soon as the paramedics got there he did one more set of compressions with the paramedics supplementing with air before the guy gasped for breath

But he did breathe on his own....RAD.

They put the guy into the ambulance, and that was that.  I am so proud of Jake.  He literally just saved a man's life last night.  Yeah, that's my husband:):)

18 comments:

Erin said...

It amazes me the situations Jake find himself in. I have never performed CPR. What an amazing feeling to "Save somebody's life". That truly is RAD.

Katie Rod said...

Wow, talk about the right place at the right time. You'll probably never look at that gas station the same again. :)

Emily said...

Jake has always been a hero...so amazing! I want a follow up story with him...and a reunion on Oprah!

REGS said...

That really is so CRAZY AMAZING! Makes you feel good just hearing about it! GOOD JOB JAKE!!! What a true HERO!

BreeAnne said...

Awesome! I have to say, though, I'm not at all surprised. :) What a blessing that you guys were in the right time at the right place!

Chelsea said...

The craziest things happen to Jake...... GOOO JAKE!! "Just keep doing what you're doing!"

Laurel said...

And all the while your boys sat comfortably in their car seats! I knew they would come in handy! :)
What an incredible way to pay it forward!! I'm going to go mention this to the people who run Oprah's blog. Emily was right- you need a reunion with the guy you saved. Awesome.

Chuckleheads said...

Jake is an amazing man. You are a lucky woman, Emma. I'm glad he was so quick on his feet and knew how to do CPR. What a blessing for that man.

thegehmclan said...

You really are married to a hero.

Ryan and Christina said...

WOW That is GREAT! You never know when you may need to do this! I am so proud of him. A great sacrafice for someone he did not know

The Days of your Life said...

I want an autograph, since everyone has said all the cool things about Jake!!!! You rock Jakey boy!

Cothran Family said...

Jake, I agree, the craziest things DO happen to you! That is amazing! I'm glad you didn't panic and knew what to do. Most people forget their steps when it comes down to the pressure of the situation. You are the man.

Angie said...

Way to go Jake!

Sister Ward said...

That's awesome! Way to go Jake!

aidanjordan said...

How awesome! Way to go, Jake!!

A New Life Student said...

Wow, that is such a crazy story. Jake is amazing! Seriously, AMAZING!

JoSue said...

OH MY GOSH!! I seriously have this fear that someone will need CPR and everything I've ever learned will be totally forgotten and I'll FLIP out! Sounds like he was so calm and collected. Man, you guys were at Walmart at the right time apparently. Wow...seriously. You guys deserve some sort of award. Hopefully you'll get to meet him one day!

Nate said...

Wamsutta all the way!!!

Application of what you have learned at Parker. They ought to just let you pass the Emergency class without any questions.

Way to be observant and to save lives!